A State of Trance Official Forum: Dash Berlin-Music Is Life - A State of Trance Official Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dash Berlin-Music Is Life

#1 User is offline   AlexVerin 

• Pip
  • PM this member
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Trance Music

Posted 13 April 2012 - 17:33

In a few days the new album will be out of Dash Berlin - "Music is Life".
At this link you can find the review:

http://trancemusicev...ic-is-life.html

OUT NOW

See you soon friends of trance music.:biggrin:

This is my new page fan on facebook :
http://www.facebook....394242697277373

http://trancemusicever.blogspot.it/

This post has been edited by AlexVerin: 27 April 2012 - 15:22

#2 User is offline   RicardoD 

• Pitchie Witchie cause I'm a bitchie!
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Interests:Much things!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:54

If his music is life, I'm going to do suicide. XD

#3 User is offline   ajaghvajagh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:35

#musicislife #trancefamily

#4 User is offline   Amay 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 April 2012 - 23:25

Sorry to the people who do enjoy these guys album. But the tracks here are just really dire with poor instrumentations, sounds and melodies being made.

Up there as the worst album for the year it shocks me as to why people buy sh*t like this.This album should be labelled Dance instead of trance

This post has been edited by Amay: 14 April 2012 - 23:28

#5 User is offline   RokHecl 

• Hi.
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Interests:EDM, Football (Manchester United FC), Basketball, Video Games, Computer Science

Posted 14 April 2012 - 23:55

Even the spider who's lurking in the top corner of my room as I'm writing this excites me more than this album. So yeah... I couldn't care less for this album and I'm staying the hell away from it.

View PostAmay, on 14 April 2012 - 23:25 , said:

Sorry to the people who do enjoy these guys album. But the tracks here are just really dire with poor instrumentations, sounds and melodies being made.

Up there as the worst album for the year it shocks me as to why people buy sh*t like this.This album should be labelled Dance instead of trance

But DESH BERLIN is pure emoshunal trens. http://forum.astateoftrance.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/wub.gifhttp://forum.astateoftrance.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/wub.gifhttp://forum.astateoftrance.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/wub.gif

http://forum.astateoftrance.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/teehee.gifhttp://forum.astateoftrance.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/teehee.gif

Yeah, should be labeled as dance or some kind of electronic pop.

This post has been edited by RokHecl: 15 April 2012 - 00:00

#6 User is offline   santo 

• TEAM 140+ MEMBER
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Interests:ASOT

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:05

View PostRicardoD, on 14 April 2012 - 16:54 , said:

If his music is life, I'm going to do suicide. XD

LOL : D

#7 User is offline   TomYelland 

• Pip
  • PM this member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 22:49

I'd rather listen to 10 hours of Gareth Emery b2b with Above & Beyond than listen to Dash Berlin. The guy has proven that he can put together a solid mix (his ASOT 550 CD was by far the best), but all his recent & new productions pretty much since after Man on the Run have been absolute trash.

#8 User is offline   colin 

• ASOT
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:59

Same here how you feel, people who request Dash Berlin even to be aired on ASOT should really look at themselves

Why would anyone want to promote this sh*t to be aired on ASOT gets me

.Cheese fest IMO

This post has been edited by colin: 16 April 2012 - 14:24

#9 User is offline   colin 

• ASOT
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:32

Had a listen to the album and for me it sucks even the Hoyaa track aint that good

3/10

This post has been edited by colin: 24 April 2012 - 11:32

#10 User is offline   blachshma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:43

Did you listen to the album that you know its the worst album of the year? Seriously, I'm no DB fan and I'm not going to listen to his album unless ASOT previews convince me otherwise (which I doubt), but still, I really don't get the DB hatred around here. Its pop, yes, but there is place for pop in the world too. I also find DB's tunes far more trancy than the likes of Tom Fall.

#11 User is offline   Sunspot02 

• ASOT DJ Podium Management
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Interests:Ana Criado, music, sports, travelling

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:52

I like the Album so far, Id give it an 8-9 currently based on the previews.

Review will come once I got time for it, all I can say so far is - that they do deliver Trance. Yes there are poppy tracks, but they do still sound like trance. You got a piano, no distortion, hardly any sirens and a good combination of Vocal & Instrumental.

#12 User is offline   john.jterry.terry@gmail.com 

• PipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:55

View Postblachshma, on 24 April 2012 - 12:43 , said:

Did you listen to the album that you know its the worst album of the year? Seriously, I'm no DB fan and I'm not going to listen to his album unless ASOT previews convince me otherwise (which I doubt), but still, I really don't get the DB hatred around here. Its pop, yes, but there is place for pop in the world too. I also find DB's tunes far more trancy than the likes of Tom Fall.

I rather listen to Go It Alone, World Falls Apart, Waiting, Better Half Of Me, etc. than listening to one Tom Fail Brostep Influenced Remix or any distorted pitch raising track.

This post has been edited by john.jterry.terry@gmail.com: 24 April 2012 - 12:55

#13 User is offline   Razormane 

• Damn you and your hoooooooooooodie!
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:05

Its pop, yes, but there is place for pop in the world too.

But can that place be outside EDM please? :kiss: Anti-DB folk like yours truly don't think pop should not exist at all, it should just not be present in or otherwise reduced to a minimum within EDM. Pop = pop, EDM = EDM, bar a few tiny exceptions, the two don't mix imo.

That said, there is one track on the album I am willing to give a chance and that's the track with Shanokee. I luuuuuuuv Shanokee :wub: In case DB screw up, maybe a remixer or two might save the track :whistling:

This post has been edited by Razormane: 24 April 2012 - 13:08

#14 User is offline   colin 

• ASOT
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:08

Pop on ASOT should not be...All there tracks sound the same nothing new on the album

#15 User is offline   colin 

• ASOT
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:11

View PostRazormane, on 24 April 2012 - 13:05 , said:

But can that place be outside EDM please? :kiss: Anti-DB folk like yours truly don't think pop should not exist at all, it should just not be present in or otherwise reduced to a minimum within EDM. Pop = pop, EDM = EDM, bar a few tiny exceptions, the two don't mix imo.

That said, there is one track on the album I am willing to give a chance and that's the track with Shanokee. I luuuuuuuv Shanokee :wub: In case DB screw up, maybe a remixer or two might save the track :whistling:

Its not brill mate the vocal side of the track aint bad but the rest not to me liking at all

#16 User is offline   blachshma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:18

That said, there is one track on the album I am willing to give a chance and that's the track with Shanokee. I luuuuuuuv Shanokee :wub:

I agree, BUT, if you take pop out of EDM, take all of it, including many tracks played on a weekly basis on ASOT, which many posters here love. Also, I prefer having this pop under the EDM label than the type of tracks Tom Fail produces which are far worse IMO. As for pop - many acclaimed producers make pop. Armin obviously makes a lot of pop tracks, but not just him - many of the vocal trance tracks are really popish. The Blizzard's Everything About You is REALLY popish, yet people (including myself) loved the track. Emery's Concrete Angel is very popish, and while I hated it personally, it is already one of the most popular tracks of the year. Popov's When The Sun features extremely popish vocals yet to me its a beautiful track. Vocal trance and pop aren't really so different these days - if a track features cheesy vocals with flat lyrics and catchy melody with beats, how is it not pop too? Even epic classics like Burned With Desire or Tiesto's In The Dark have pop elements in them. Even your own favorite (and quite righfuly so) Wild And Perfect Day is really popish (Its the singer from K's Choice lol). Just because Dash makes pop doesn't mean he's (they) the only one and doesn't mean only he should be "out of EDM".

#17 User is offline   RokHecl 

• Hi.
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Interests:EDM, Football (Manchester United FC), Basketball, Video Games, Computer Science

Posted 24 April 2012 - 14:39

Anti-DB folk like yours truly don't think pop should not exist at all, it should just not be present in or otherwise reduced to a minimum within EDM. Pop = pop, EDM = EDM, bar a few tiny exceptions, the two don't mix imo.

Pretty much this.

But if you do go and mix them, don't call it something it's not (eg. trance, like Cheese Berlin does). This is basically what bothers me the most.

View Postblachshma, on 24 April 2012 - 13:18 , said:

Armin obviously makes a lot of pop tracks, but not just him - many of the vocal trance tracks are really popish.

That's why I like to use the word pop-trance and not vocal trance. I don't mind good vocal trance (which is rare these days), but I HATE pop-trance (which is basically 90% of modern "vocal-trance" sadly). They're two completely different "sub-genres" for me. The first one still has a trancey production, the vocals aren't overdone & over-cheesy etc, but the latter is all about overdone cheesy & over-emotional vocals, while the production takes a back seat and is amateurish or just plain simple. Ofcourse there are a few exceptions every now and then in both categories, but mostly that's the case imo.

Emery's Concrete Angel is very popish, and while I hated it personally, it is already one of the most popular tracks of the year.

This doesn't mean anything tbh. It's a commercial pop-trance track (the original version), ofcourse it's gonna be popular. :P

Popov's When The Sun features extremely popish vocals yet to me its a beautiful track.

Gotta disagree here. There's nothing popish about the vocals here imo. And most importantly they are kept to a minimum.

Vocal trance and pop aren't really so different these days

They're still VERY different for me. That's why (like I mentioned earlier) I use both pop-trance and vocal trance to define the supposed to be "vocal trance" tracks. :)

This post has been edited by RokHecl: 24 April 2012 - 17:40

#18 User is offline   Razormane 

• Damn you and your hoooooooooooodie!
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 14:42

I agree, BUT, if you take pop out of EDM, take all of it, including many tracks played on a weekly basis on ASOT, which many posters here love. Also, I prefer having this pop under the EDM label than the type of tracks Tom Fail produces which are far worse IMO. As for pop - many acclaimed producers make pop. Armin obviously makes a lot of pop tracks, but not just him - many of the vocal trance tracks are really popish. The Blizzard's Everything About You is REALLY popish, yet people (including myself) loved the track. Emery's Concrete Angel is very popish, and while I hated it personally, it is already one of the most popular tracks of the year. Popov's When The Sun features extremely popish vocals yet to me its a beautiful track. Vocal trance and pop aren't really so different these days - if a track features cheesy vocals with flat lyrics and catchy melody with beats, how is it not pop too? Even epic classics like Burned With Desire or Tiesto's In The Dark have pop elements in them. Even your own favorite (and quite righfuly so) Wild And Perfect Day is really popish (Its the singer from K's Choice lol). Just because Dash makes pop doesn't mean he's (they) the only one and doesn't mean only he should be "out of EDM".

You're kinda walking through an open door there mate :teehee: One of the reasons that I stopped being an Armin fan is EXACTLY because he became too poppy for my taste. Concrete Angel is a poppy track? Ya don't say?? :teehee: Tiesto's In The Dark (which I don't consider an "epic classic" in any way, I do happen to like the track however) does not just have pop elements it is a Pop Trance track too. Burned With Desire definitely has pop lyrics but the instrumental version is nothing short of pure Trance which makes it a tricky example though I understand why you mentioned it. Wild And Perfect Day has poppy vocals but it's Sarah Bettens, what you'd expect? :P Same goes for Witness with Jaren: bar Light The Skies & Saved Again, she only has pop-content lyrics to sing.

But all these above mentioned artists (except for TiŽsto, Armin and Emery which have all gone mainstreamer than mainstream) have at least discographies which mostly consist of (Prog) Trance. Rank 1's singles prior to both W titled poppy productions were nothing short of either epic Trance or wicked Electro/Techtrance. Same goes for The Blizzard. Before Emery became so big he was a mastermind of melodic Trancey goodness. Same goes for Armin and TiŽsto. Dash Berlin on the other hand are a reversed case where there maybe only two to three instrumental productions and the rest is just (imo) pop trash. And that's why I believe he should not be considered EDM.

Furthermore, if banning Pop Trance or poppy lyrics in Trance out of EDM would mean a lot of contemporary fans would not be here I can't say I see that as a loss. You know why? Because at least 3/4 of them are #trancefamily members anyway, or rather, the new market that the likes of Armin, Gareth & Dash owe their immense current popularity to these days. These are people that don't understand the value of Classics (#550 and lame crowd reaction to Strange World) nor do they care about any Trance, Prog or whatever prior to 2008/2009. I may sound very harsh here but I could care less about these people and it is exactly because these people came aboard that someone like Armin ruined his sound gradually up to the point that only a yearly Gaia alias can have some value for someone whose Trance spectrum goes before In And Out Of Love :rolleyes:

There are always small exceptions to everything you dislike but if it was up to me, (ASOT) Trance would never have become so vocal centric. And Dash Berlin is the epitome of that development for me, more than any other artist. Tom Fail's boring productions are trash too, but at least he's not glorified as a "God of Trance".

#19 User is offline   blachshma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 00:18

View PostRazormane, on 24 April 2012 - 14:42 , said:

You're kinda walking through an open door there mate :teehee: One of the reasons that I stopped being an Armin fan is EXACTLY because he became too poppy for my taste. Concrete Angel is a poppy track? Ya don't say?? :teehee: Tiesto's In The Dark (which I don't consider an "epic classic" in any way, I do happen to like the track however) does not just have pop elements it is a Pop Trance track too. Burned With Desire definitely has pop lyrics but the instrumental version is nothing short of pure Trance which makes it a tricky example though I understand why you mentioned it. Wild And Perfect Day has poppy vocals but it's Sarah Bettens, what you'd expect? :P Same goes for Witness with Jaren: bar Light The Skies & Saved Again, she only has pop-content lyrics to sing.

But all these above mentioned artists (except for Tiësto, Armin and Emery which have all gone mainstreamer than mainstream) have at least discographies which mostly consist of (Prog) Trance. Rank 1's singles prior to both W titled poppy productions were nothing short of either epic Trance or wicked Electro/Techtrance. Same goes for The Blizzard. Before Emery became so big he was a mastermind of melodic Trancey goodness. Same goes for Armin and Tiësto. Dash Berlin on the other hand are a reversed case where there maybe only two to three instrumental productions and the rest is just (imo) pop trash. And that's why I believe he should not be considered EDM.

Furthermore, if banning Pop Trance or poppy lyrics in Trance out of EDM would mean a lot of contemporary fans would not be here I can't say I see that as a loss. You know why? Because at least 3/4 of them are #trancefamily members anyway, or rather, the new market that the likes of Armin, Gareth & Dash owe their immense current popularity to these days. These are people that don't understand the value of Classics (#550 and lame crowd reaction to Strange World) nor do they care about any Trance, Prog or whatever prior to 2008/2009. I may sound very harsh here but I could care less about these people and it is exactly because these people came aboard that someone like Armin ruined his sound gradually up to the point that only a yearly Gaia alias can have some value for someone whose Trance spectrum goes before In And Out Of Love :rolleyes:

There are always small exceptions to everything you dislike but if it was up to me, (ASOT) Trance would never have become so vocal centric. And Dash Berlin is the epitome of that development for me, more than any other artist. Tom Fail's boring productions are trash too, but at least he's not glorified as a "God of Trance".

Once again a great, thoughtful post I enjoyed reading. I do agree with many of your points, except for a few:

1) While you are right that Armin, Tiesto, Emery, etc. have a good trance history behind them, I still don't see some of their productions any less popish than DB's productions. Concrete Angel, for example, is just as pop as World Falls Apart by DB. Now, even if Gareth is the same guy who remixed Formentera What, and will forever have his spot among the list of great trance producers, it still doesn't make his pop tracks any more legitimate than Dash Berlin's. In fact, I can actually appreciate Dash a bit more - why? Because he actually stays true to his style. He was pop, and he is pop now, nothing changed, you get what you expect, no more and no less. With Emery, you got a much more talented producer who made some great tunes in the past, and now produces crap like Concrete Angel and plays stuff like Maximal Crazy in his sets. I would actually prefer going to a DB set, because at least I know what to expect there, where with Emery its getting worse and worse (and his arrogant attitude to the crowd he betrayed doesn't help things). Now, I can't say a lot of positive stuff about Dash Berlin, the guy (group, whatever) is clearly an Armada tool for making money and not art. But I don't see any reason why stuff like Wild & Perfect Day, Concrete Angel or Must Be The Love are all legitimate for ASOT/EDM while World Falls Apart or Better Half Of Me aren't (and I'm not talking about personal preference here, some of the tracks I mentioned I like and some I hate with passion, regardless of the artist).

2) You say Tom Fall isn't being glorified as the god of trance. Well, now I know for sure you have quit ASOT :tongue:, because you clearly didn't hear what Armin said about the guy. Tom Fail is currently the most overhyped "new player" and Armin praises him as much as he did Arty in 2010 and Orjan in 2011 (both guys started well and went downhill for me, but Tom fall started bad and likely to go even worse).

BTW, I would MUCH rather listen to Strange World or classics like than any of the vocals tunes, good or bad. I think that even though I'm new to the scene, I really am a trance/prog fan at heart even though I occasionaly don't mind pop-trance if done right (to me, This Light Between Us was a good example of that, but many disagree). I will take a Gaia tune over In & Out Of Love any day.

This post has been edited by blachshma: 26 April 2012 - 00:20

#20 User is offline   blachshma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 00:27

View PostRokHecl, on 24 April 2012 - 14:39 , said:

Pretty much this.

But if you do go and mix them, don't call it something it's not (eg. trance, like Cheese Berlin does). This is basically what bothers me the most.

That's why I like to use the word pop-trance and not vocal trance. I don't mind good vocal trance (which is rare these days), but I HATE pop-trance (which is basically 90% of modern "vocal-trance" sadly). They're two completely different "sub-genres" for me. The first one still has a trancey production, the vocals aren't overdone & over-cheesy etc, but the latter is all about overdone cheesy & over-emotional vocals, while the production takes a back seat and is amateurish or just plain simple. Ofcourse there are a few exceptions every now and then in both categories, but mostly that's the case imo.

This doesn't mean anything tbh. It's a commercial pop-trance track (the original version), ofcourse it's gonna be popular. :P

Gotta disagree here. There's nothing popish about the vocals here imo. And most importantly they are kept to a minimum.

They're still VERY different for me. That's why (like I mentioned earlier) I use both pop-trance and vocal trance to define the supposed to be "vocal trance" tracks. :)

I do think the chorus of When The Sun is extremely...how would I define it, "cute". Its very cute. The vocals are kept to a minimum but I love them, even though I feel they are a bit cheesy, I love the track, and am willing to take the Electro fart-house that goes along with it (in the remix of course).

Sometimes how you define vocal trance and pop trance is a different definition than other people's definition, for example, last year there was this Mark Eteson track Breath On My Own. I loved the tune, loved the vocals. Some people said its extremely cheesy and popish, but I felt that even though there were plenty of vocals, the track was really trancy and beautiful, and the production was rich. It was my top vocal track of the year. It was a bit pop, but it was good pop (for me at least).

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic